Description: WTS prime contractor performances include providing all of the services necessary to operate and maintain a large generating station FGD (Flue Gas Desulfurization) Scrubber sludge processing facility. This work included all management, supervision, labor, materials, operations, and maintenance necessary to run the facility 24/7 365. WTS received and processed FGD sludge, lime, and fly ash to produce a processed material for landfill placement.
Operation and Maintenance – of this facility included MCC (Motor Control Centers), motors, pumps, air compressors, chillers, air conditioning, motorized valves, rotary feeders, air handlers, instrumentation, SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) software, controllers, and a maintenance database.
Optimal Readiness – All the equipment in this facility had to be maintained so that the facility could startup and shutdown on demand as necessary due to dispatch control. All preventative maintenance and critical maintenance had to be planned in advanced as to not disrupt the operation of the generating facility.
Cost Savings – WTS ran this facility with fewer employees and at a significant cost savings than the incumbent. Our management plan included 1 plant manager, 2 supervisors, and 4 full time operators / maintenance personnel. We accomplished this by better understanding the process and providing only what was necessary to fulfill the facilities objective. Additional cost savings were also realized in turning the maintenance budget over to the plant. Specifically WTS was required to solicit and provide the owner with clarity why funds were being spent and for what purpose. This allowed beneficial discussions to take place before money was spent an actions were taken.
Key Highlights of this project included:
- Orchestrated the maintenance on the centrifuge through the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) and obtaining a warranty on this maintenance
- Responsible for removal and processing of the existing sludge material
- Obtained all necessary permits and licenses required to comply with all regulatory codes, criteria, and standards
- Provided all technical support aimed at achieving process optimization at the facility
- Outstanding Safety record with zero incidence
- Outstanding Environmental compliance with zero incidence